March 09, 2009

good things

i had Not A Great Week for most of last week - too much stress at work, not enough of whatever i usually use to diffuse stress - and came home grumpy and out of sorts for several days in a row. that's very unlike me: i'm pretty ADD when it comes to being unhappy or mad or grumpy, and can't seem to hold onto a bad mood even if i want to (this was upsetting as a child, when i thought i'd "punish" my parents by being mad at them for DAYS ON END, or NOT COME DOWN FOR DINNER, that would show THEM!! ...and 20 minutes later i'd be in a perfectly good mood again, and bored, and want to go back downstairs and play.)

uh, anyway. the point was (supposed to be) that by thursday, apparently i'd had enough of Stressed and Annoyed, and even though nothing had changed at work i was in a far better mood overall. this mood was amplified times ONE MILLION when i went to the gym after work that evening, and discovered a girl scout table set up. i'd kvetched on several peoples' blogs (*coughnilsacoughsorry*) about how tragic it was that no girl scouts had hawked their wares to me this year, and i was destined to go an ENTIRE YEAR without any thin mints stashed in the freezer, and WOE IS ME MY LIFE IS SO HARD, etc. and then! right there! in front of my gym! an entire table of cookies, with some chatty little girls who were very happy to take my thin-mint-only order. and i was their very last customer - they were packing up as i arrived. so had i stayed at work 10 minutes longer, i would have missed them completely and still be sad and thin-mint-less.

and THEN! i went inside and had the BEST RUN EVER (ran the first mile with no interval-walking-bits, in 8.5 mins! then continued, interval-like, to finish up 2.5 miles with a 10 min/mile pace overall). i felt really good during the run, really good after the run, and REALLY REALLY good when i randomly decided to see if i could magically do any pull ups these days, and DUDE I ACTUALLY CAN. i mean, like 1.5 of them, but still, that is exactly 1.5 more pull ups than i've been able to do in about 10 years.

friday continued with the good: we celebrated a friend's birthday with korean bbq and noraebang. the meal was one of the best i've had. every single mouthful was like a happy little mouthgasm of wonderfulness. honestly, if you're local, and you like korean barbeque (which: HOW IS IT POSSIBLE NOT TO? well, i guess if you're a vegetarian..) i hiiiighly recommend this place. for the karaoke portion we went to our regular annandale locale: the delightful cafe muse. good times were had by all.

on saturday, i decided to run outside to take advantage of the nice weather. i cannot understand why running outside is approximately 40 times harder than running on a treadmill. i mean, i get that there are hills, and i'm running on concrete, but still. i'd would think that would make it like TWICE as hard as treadmill running, not eleventy billions times harder. whatever. in any event, i did a short 1.6 mile loop, with WAY more walking than when i'm in the gym, but still: i did it. then i watched harry potter movies all afternoon. :-)

yesterday's weather was nothing short of amazing. 3 days earlier, i'd had to get a second comforter for my bed because the wind chill was in the single digits, which meant my bedroom was barely making it into the double digits. by sunday, i was sitting outside in 80+ degree weather in williamsburg with my good friend shannon* and her family, getting sunburned. SUNBURNED. because i had EXPOSED SKIN. and it was exposed long enough to BURN. that is freaking awesome, my friends.

so! that was an awfully long way of saying that last week started out crappy, but ended fabulously. and while it's a bit cooler than it was over the weekend today, it's still sunny and deliciously nice, so i think it's physically impossible for me to be in a bad mood. two thumbs up.

*she just started a blog yesterday! and has an adorable son! go visit!! :-)

19 comments:

  1. selling girl guide cookies outside of a gym is sort of deliciously evil, isn't it? those little girls are sneaky bitches! (I'm just jealous because Canadians have 2 choices when it comes to girl guide cookies - the chocolate/vanilla mixed box in the fall or the mint chocolate in the spring.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are making me come out of my sickness-induced hibernation because you gave me a shout-out. Sort of. And all I can say is, one of my doctor blogger friends suggested that girl scout cookies might make me feel lots better. And since we have none left in our house. Um, I think it's your responsibility to FedEx me some of yours. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! This post makes me so happy! Also, to Nilsa, I recommend Edy's/Dreyer's girl scout cookie ice cream. OMG YUM. Especially the Tagalong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thin Mints = your reward for going to the gym! lol
    Seriously, I am proud of you for keeping up with this. I am so lame myself (literally, figuratively, whatever) - at least I can live vicariously through you! And if my girlfriend from Seattle comes back out here again, I will have to contact you about karaoke. She loves to do it (and she's darned good, too).
    Saturday was gorgeous and SuperDad was out planting the first of the peas in the garden. Sunday afternoon we took a walk/hike on a 5km path (our son's cross-country home course - horse riders use it too, so we were dodging evidence of that) but the humidity was getting up there and we both remembered why we want to move back to WA. Icky humidity.

    I bought some Thin Mints and other gs cookies but didn't get them into the freezer before the guys found them. I've been staying out of them, but the males in my house scarf them all right up. Guess we won't be eating any this fall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm... Korean barbque...

    I just might have to make it out to Virginia...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was so grunmpy two days last week. I just couldn't shake it. That rarely happens to me too, and I hate it.

    You are kicking arse with your exercise! Don't let the outdoors daunt you! If you want to exercise outside, you will get used to it after ahwile, just like indoors! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I'm just now trying to start watching what I eat and getting back in shape again, so I hope you don't mind that as soon as I saw "thin mints," I had to avert my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have bad moods to go around if you're interested....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Hillary: those Girl Scouts are evil geniuses. Glad you got your Thin Mint fix. Personally, I'm partial to the Tagalongs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bummer about the sunburn, but we sure enjoyed your company. Your boyfriend sends his love, and thanks you for advertising his blog. (seriously, girl scouts at the gym?!? That's just wrong...)

    ReplyDelete
  11. EIGHT POINT FIVE????? Wowza, you are awesome. Your weekend sounds great, your life is so exciting, I love reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. woohoo! you are gonna become a runner before you know it!!! i want to run the 10 miler next year. let's do it alice! btw, i am dying for some thin mints - and i have seen zero girl scouts! i guess i may go the year w/o them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thankfully the girl scout cookies have not reared their delicious head anywhere near my area. Otherwise I would have to wear a blind fold.

    Here's to hoping this week and weekend are even better!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad the week ended better than it started! It was destined to, since there were GS cookies involved!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That Girl Scout Cookie thing is straight out of one of the best movies OF ALL TIME: Troop Beverly Hills.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Girl Scout cookies are the best! Caramel Delights are my very favorite. We've bought GS cookies twice in the last month or so. *shame* BUT! There are still Thin Mints in the freezer! (I think.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I start my week crappy and then it gets better it means that I got my period. Did you?

    The reason why running outside seems harder is because you are actually pounding your knees on a hard surface. They say that to simulate running on a flat ground you need to put a 1% incline on the treadmill... otherwise it is like running downhill.



    Flicka Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  18. What is it that is so addictive about thin mints, could someone please tell me?

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete