July 28, 2009

requisite clunky blogher post

so! blogher! i went! and it was fantastic. i suspect you may be more than a little sick of all the write ups everywhere, and since i am lazy and not thoughtful or deep, i'll spare you a lengthy recap. so let's mostly look at pictures, shall we?

first off: everyone says this, but i really did meet some fantastic ladies out there. and got to meet up with more fantastic ladies who i "knew" but hadn't met. and see friends i've actually met through the blog in person person again.





thanks to nilsa and pocklock for a few of these, which i blatantly jacked from them

i know there's some angst out there about cliques and mean girls and highschool, and i don't really want to add to that drama, but here's my general take on it: i was SUPER EXCITED to meet up with "my" bloggers, like nilsa and shelly and pseudo. i mean, that's literally the number one reason i was going: to meet up with all these friends i had connected with online. and the "cool" and "popular" bloggers? like amalah and sundry and sweetney? it stands to reason that they were also pretty excited to see their friends. so the fact that they gravitated toward people they have connections with, instead of dropping everything to make sure they talked to me or any other random person there? seems kind of... normal. and fair.

and i DID talk to both amalah and sundry, and both were super nice and friendly, although i'm pretty sure i scared sundry into thinking my entire family was a group of stalker serial killers who might come try to eat her babies, so, uh, whoops. and she was STILL NICE TO ME. when not fleeing, i mean.


there has also been a lot said about The Swag. now, i realize you shouldn't go to the conferences SPECIFICALLY to pick up swag? and i had NO IDEA how MUCH swag this was going to entail. but, uh, i'm kind of a sucker for free stuff, so i can't say i MINDED being handed freebies left and right. however? people were not kidding when they suggested bringing an extra bag, JUST FOR THE STUFF:

that there on the left is my suitcase, and that pile o' crap on the right is the swag. and this is the i-just-walked-in-and-they-handed-me-this swag, not the elbow-babies-out-of-the-way swag. and, uh, some of it's really pretty cool.

i do have a bunch of thoughts on the weekend that may make it out here at some point, but for now... pseudostoops said it very well: the conference is what you made of it. if you were looking for cliques and shallowness and horrible sessions, i'm sure they were easy to find. but if you were looking for a really great weekend meeting women you've been connected with because of the pretty darn awesome thing we call blogging? that was also there for the taking.

22 comments:

  1. The pics are cute! I am glad you had fun, I can't decide if I would like it or not...I love my bloggy friends, but I would be too chicken to talk to any of them in real life....

    Blogland was invented for me, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. where is the photo with the famous guy??!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and you need to a post about the swag itself...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said, girl.

    And I won't sue you for ripping off my photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had an awesome time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks like a blast!! and i'm jealous that you got to hangout with nilsa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you were to categorize me into a take it or leave it kind of girl ... I'd leave BlogHer behind. But, YOU, my dear? Not in a million years! It was fabulous meeting you and errr, sorry I high-tailed it outta there Saturday night. Didn't realize you were back and I had had my fill!

    ReplyDelete
  8. actually you are the only blog i follow who went to blogher! [besides the blogess and pioneer woman obvi] so this post is fabu! also now i feel like there is something wrong with me for not knowing anyone else [real person-ish] who went to blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  9. BlogHer? I hardly knew her!

    Wait a minute that doesn't work in this case...

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was great fun meeting you. I've seen your picture around in the comment section and now I finally have a person to attach it to.

    Thanks for the good times!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to know what was happening in the fourth picture.

    Still quite jealous you got to meet Nilsa and Sizzle and oh so many more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gah. & we got no pics of the two of us. Sigh. There was so little time and too much to do. Next year?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not at all tired of reading about it, and in fact I want more. I'm trying to get an idea of what it's LIKE. The trouble is, I keep reading about how AWESOME and AMAZING everyone is, but I'm not getting a feeling for WHY or IN WHAT WAY. So I'm starting to theorize drugged kool-aid.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If I saw a group of girl wearing Mc Donald's bags on their head, I would be concerned at first. Then, totally approach equipped with my best lines. Looks like fun was had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That? Was the best dinner ever!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay! It looks like such a good time! Am jealous that you got to hang out with all those awesome people.

    ReplyDelete
  17. well said, lady! I have read a bunch of recaps where people are all "drama! drama!" and I just feel like yeah, you could find drama. It's a conference with a bunch of women. But I'm fairly certain that drama can be avoided, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was so awesome to meet you! I'm so glad I went to dinner with you guys and we had a chance to chat in a quieter place than the cocktail party. Which is saying a lot since that restaurant was LOUD!

    Come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Alice! It was great to meet you. Why didn't you tell me how goddamned FUNNY you are?!

    I can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  20. April, it was great meeting you too and I all I have to say is you better not find a boyfriend before I do because then who can I share my dating horrors with. Whoever you meet better come with a hot looking older brother

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wish I would have known you were going to be in town so I could have tried to meet up with you! OF course, that would require me reading your blog on time, rather than weeks later when I catch up to it!

    I am happy you had fun. I think you have a very good perspective of the event! (I wasn't there, but from what I've heard)

    ReplyDelete
  22. LADY!

    Had the best time! I was explaining to my BFF that thanks to pseudostoops I got to meet some fabulous gals I didn't even know where around and we clicked like we'd been friends for years. And THAT is the best feeling ever.

    Yeah for BlogHer! Yeah for girlie time! Yeah for photos I'm going to steal! Oh, wait. FALSE!

    ReplyDelete