May 07, 2008

marley likes her snout shaken. it's true.

best letter ever received (although technically, it wasn't even for me):


my wife and her dog are so awesome, no?

ok, so my ten year highschool reunion is coming up this weekend. i knew this for ages, and i went ahead and registered, arranged to leave early on friday, the whole deal... but it just occurred to me that it's THIS FRIDAY. like, i have to pack TOMORROW NIGHT for this.

we had a five year reunion as well (don't ask.. i have a very hoity-toity highschool) and i was a little obsessed before that one. i was not, ah, how do you say... "popular"... in highschool. my friends and i were the smart nerdy ones. we made a pact with each other to never ever drink or smoke. (clearly that went well... heh) i went to school with oil heirs, american nobility, actual royalty, and every other version of "rich kid" you can think of. so when i showed up at my 5 year - with a college degree, gainfully employed, confident in myself as a person - i wanted to IMPRESS people. i wore what i thought were adult, accomplished, confident outfits. i figured that now that we were all out of school, with jobs, there would be no superior cliques, no distinct lines between cool and uncool.

haaaaaaaa. wasn't i cute back then? ahahaheehee. *wipes away tear of laughter*

right, so this time i kind of don't care about impressing people, or Connecting With People Now That We're All Equal!... really i just want to see my friends. but OBVIOUSLY it's still a highschool reunion, and OBVIOUSLY it's still going to be pervaded by snooty rich folks, so OBVIOUSLY i kind of do not want to look like a bum. so now i'm starting to stress.

the weather is supposed to be ENTIRELY STUPID this weekend in new jersey. it's going to be rainy and in the 50s on friday night, and high of 71 but cloudy on saturday. that's EXACTLY IN BETWEEN all my Cute Summery Attire! and my Cute Colder Weather Attire! gaaah. 71 and cloudy is the kind of weather where you have to bring an extra layer and take it on and off 400,000 times throughout the day. AND, the class dinner saturday night is in a TENT. so i'll be quasi-outside, at night, with a low of 49. annoying.

gah. off i go to inspect my closet.

21 comments:

  1. I have yet to go to a high school reunion. My 20th will be next year. (Typing that just made me very very very OLD.) I haven't decided if I'm going to that one either. It could be fun, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My class didn't have a 5 year. 10 year is next year. I may or may not go. But what did you think when you saw people that you didn't even think about since you graduated? Bet that was weird eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwe that letter is so sweet!

    As for the reunion, good luck! I'm sure, from what your wife says about you and from what I've read, you'll impress them all by just being yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg you guys made that pact?! what a hoot! obviously i wasn't involved as i smoked and drank my way through junior and senior year... too funny!

    have a great time at reunion! i can't wait to see pictures! please take TONS for me!!! i can't wait to hear what everyone is up to. (do you know that it never dawned on me that we weren't popular in high school? we had TONS of friends and had a blast... we (okay, you guys) won all the academic awards... i always figured everyone was envious of us! too funny.)

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. in a tent?! How classy...

    And that letter is gorgeous...

    ReplyDelete
  6. btw, my feelings are hurt that i'm not listed as a blog you read! ;P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like our high schools were very similar. Gah! We had a 5-year that I skipped (because I went to school with a bunch of snooty kids who I didn't think had changed all that much in 5 years, so had no need to go back!). My 10-year reunion was fabulous. We all went to have a good time - reconnected with a bunch of people I hadn't seen in years - gushed over how great all the women looked - and laughed at all the guys who got fat (and boy, were there a lot of them!). Have a great time - and remember - most people will be so wasted, they won't notice your summer dress / winter boot combo! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The tent is probably heated? Just a thought. I mean, I would hope. But yeah, sounds like you're going to have to pack a variety of outfits. And sweaters. Have fun with that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. considering how much I hated (and was hated in return) high school, I eschewed my 10 year reunion and laughed at my sister for going to hers. For hers was like yours and she was you and she sat at the table with her friends and ignored the people who both ignored her in high school AND at the reunion.

    Why would ANYONE want to willingly expose themselves to that?

    WHY?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I skipped my 10 year reunion. I hated everyone in high school. Holy moly, my 20 year will be in two years. I proabably won't go to that one either. Unless I have a really hot date or a cover story in Entertainment Weekly or something. I'll start holding my breath now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WORST. PACKING. CONDITIONS. EVER.

    Good luck. And love, love, love the note!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your 10 year reunion is when you find out who's an alcoholic and who has it together.

    ~Jef

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, good luck with that. I skipped my ten year. We'll see if I ever go to any reunions.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That card is adorable. My mom would send cards from her dog to my cats if they were sick. It was cute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. my 10 year is in june!!! AHHHHHH! i don't know why i'm nervous, i'm obviously the coolest : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. The good thing about being from a small town? They don't bother with reunions because EVERYONE IS STILL THERE.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You had a pact never to drink or smoke ... WOW. I wasn't popular either. Dreading my 10 year reunion. I know that I'm a great person but those people can still make you feel inferior.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Were it not for the fact that I was expected to make a speech, I was going to skip my high school graduation. So, reunion? Fat chance.

    But I still love hearing about other people's reunion adventures. You ARE going to tell us how it went and what you managed to work out in terms of attire, right?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Damn...I have my 20 year reunion coming up this year... and I don't know what I'm going to wear, but I do know what I'm going to drink, which is pretty much whatever I can get my hands on.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope you had a good time. I never got the opportunity to go to my high school reunion(s), but I did want to. I would totally have bought something new and fabulous if I did have to go though.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can't wait to see photos of your weekend. I know you've been having a tough week, so I will be patient! Hang in there dear!

    ReplyDelete